Welcome, Charita!

Posted by on Thursday, June 7, 2018 in Uncategorized.

Charita is an undergraduate student at Vanderbilt who will be doing research under Chloe Snider's mentorship. We asked her some questions to get to know her… 

Where did you grow up/where were you before Vanderbilt/what do you consider to be your “hometown”? 

I spent most of my childhood in Georgia, but I was actually born in India! Although I loved visiting India during my childhood, my hometown is definitely in Georgia. 

What are you studying at Vanderbilt? 

I am currently a Neuroscience and Medicine, Health, and Society double major. When I was in high school I became very interested by the topic of transcultural healthcare, so I came to Vanderbilt wanting to learn as much as I could about it. Once I got here, I fell in love with my neuroscience class, which I had originally taken as an elective for Medicine, Health, and Society, and I decided to double major. I am also on the pre-medicine track, and I hope to attend medical school after undergraduate!

Why did you decide to do undergrad research? Is there anything in particular you’re excited about learning? 

Over my last summer, I worked as a laboratory tech assistant in the histology/ pathology department of a clinical lab. While I enjoyed that, I came to realize that I wanted to learn more about a wet lab as well. Also, I wanted to apply the "scientific method" that is always referenced in our science classes!

What do you do for fun outside of classes/lab? What is your favorite place/restaurant, etc. in Nashville? 

Outside of classes and lab, I spend my time dancing on Vanderbilt's Bollywood Fusion team "Lakshya," working to organize South Asian cultural performances and shows to profit charities, teaching middle schoolers more about science, and spending time with my friends and family. I also really love walking around Centennial Park on a nice day!

Do you have any science heroes? 

My science heroes are more personal figures. I had two teachers through middle and high school who really taught me the value of science, and they are my science heroes! 

Tags: