be open or even better, inclined to purchase the next game

Posted by on Friday, June 6, 2014 in archives, Uncategorized.

MayhemMessiah u

canada goose clearance COHERENCE_CROQUETTE 2 points submitted 14 hours ago canada goose clearance

canada goose coats on sale There are free games and there are paid games, right? Can we agree to generally categorize games in canada goose outlet toronto location these two camps? canada goose outlet edmonton Assuming yes, I go on. canada goose coats on sale

Canada Goose Outlet The design purpose of a canada goose outlet orlando paid game has been the same ever since the Atari times, the NES times: it a crafted experience designed to make you feel entertained enough to make you 1. not regret having paid whatever you paid for it, and 2. be open or even better, inclined to purchase the next game from that franchise or company. Canada Goose Outlet

canada goose deals You with me so far? I assuming you won have any objections about what I said so far, as I not even talking about the stuff canada goose outlet in https://www.topparka.ca uk we disagreeing about. Good. canada goose deals

cheap Canada Goose We agree that paid games are designed to be games that make you feel good about them. Sometimes they fail, but this is pretty much always what they going for, canada goose parka outlet uk design wise. cheap Canada Goose

canada goose coats on sale If I spend time and resources (aka lots of money) in development, design, and marketing to make a game that canada goose outlet las vegas polished enough to be appealing to a lot of people, but then I don ask you for money in return if you want to play the game, the canada goose parka uk math doesn work. I HAVE canada goose outlet new york city to ask you for money. I HAVE to earn back the money I spent making this game, and then some. There canada goose outlet canada absolutely no disagreeing with this. canada goose coats on sale

So now I have to be creative enough to earn money in some obtuse way since I didn ask for it upfront. This is now my main concern. Nothing about the game is sacred except for the directive that it has to make money back.

Canada Goose online If I making a free game that based on a series already established in the paid game market (which is a very sound idea, because of the brand recognition and fan loyalty achieved by the paid games), nothing about what the series has established up to this point is sacred. Nothing even matters, as long as I can use the series recognition to lure in players. That how we get to bullshit like EA canada goose outlet store toronto infamous Dungeon Keeper mobile game and the recently announced canada goose outlet houston Command mobile game. Canada Goose online

(Did you know the original developers of C had a literal bible containing all the lore and the design principles for the series? Did you know they used it to develop all the sequels the fans love? And do you think any of this is sacred to the mobile game? Hell no it ain They probably didn look at the thing. They most likely don even have it. I wouldn be surprised if half the team doesn even know such a thing even exists.)

Canada Goose online But I getting ahead of myself. I get worked up talking about this. Sorry. Canada Goose online

buy canada goose jacket First, I can sell items or currency. But items are canada goose discount uk solutions in need of problems, so I need to design the problems into the game. Now I have a small team of designers employed in my canada goose shop uk company whose only responsibility is designing frustrations that can be alleviated with money which is something beyond absurd, and the main thing that canada goose outlet near me drives me to call these games “mockeries”. buy canada goose jacket

canadian goose jacket People became game designers because they wanted to design fun, and now they stuck in a job that asks them to design frustration. All because I didn have the confidence to make a game worth charging upfront for. canadian goose jacket

Canada Goose Jackets Second, I can show ads. Ads are canada goose premium outlet cool, right? The player doesn have to pay because the advertiser will, and I get money either way. Win win, right? Of course not. Because now what am I going to do? Design where the ads will go. I can canada goose outlet in montreal design the ads to play during natural interruptions in the game flow, but a fun game is one with barely any of these interruptions. That canada goose sale uk not optimal for my bottom line. So now I have to actually design a game whose flow is constantly broken because I want to show you ads constantly. And since canada goose outlet website legit I doing this already, why not integrate ads with the gameplay? Watch an ad, get more items! Watch an ad, your timer is cut in half! (A timer I purposefully made twice as long because I really want you to watch an ad.) Watch an ad, double your loot! Canada Goose Jackets

Canada Goose Jackets Can you see how bullshit this is? Canada Goose Jackets

canada goose coats (And this is not even taking into account the value of your attention vs the value of your money, which is a whole different conversation, one that even more meaningful than this one.) canada goose coats

Canada Goose Jackets Third, I can sell loot boxes. Ahhhhh, loot boxes! How perfect they are! I will make canada goose jacket outlet toronto them pretty, colorful, visually enchanting, generously sonorous because I need you to feel good for opening them. not for getting whatever items you got, mind you. Because those will be hardcoded to never be exciting enough. Can have you opening a single loot box and feeling satisfied, can I? No. I want to sell you many. I want to sell you how many of them I possibly can, how many of them you can possibly have money to buy. I want you to BUDGET from your paycheck to get my loot boxes. (Fun fact: I once budgeted for Hearthstone packs. Never again.) Canada Goose Jackets

canada goose store Now look at the canada goose outlet black friday above and tell where did I once was preoccupied with how fun, or engaging, or fulfilling, or rewarding my game is. canada goose store

canada goose As the company that makes this game, I don care about this at all except insofar as these qualities will drive more “desirable consumer behavior”. Yes, they really call it that. canada goose

I care about making my KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) look better, and I tell you what: fun is not a KPI. Player happiness is absolutely not a KPI. These things are not measurable, and, by themselves, they don turn into money.

canada goose deals I not making this shit up. Google for yourself what the most common KPIs are for mobile games. canada goose deals

The bottom line of what I said, though, is simple: a game can either be designed to be fun and rewarding, or it can be designed to make money during gameplay. So far, these things have been mutually exclusive, and demonstrably so. There have been studies, there have been many articles and videos discussing this.

canada goose clearance Will we ever see a game that can crack the design holy grail of being both free to play and canada Canada Goose Outlet goose outlet mississauga not having frustration built in? Maybe. I not holding my breath, though. canada goose clearance

buy canada goose jacket cheap And I very much doubt it is Fallout Shelter. buy canada goose jacket cheap

canada goose clearance Do you even know what a KPI means? Or what they used for? They a unit of objective measurement. Why or how would you make happiness a KPI? canada goose outlet uk sale If you KPIs are high, you assume players are happy. If players were unhappy with your game, every single KPI would be shit. Unhappy players don spend money on things that make them unhappy. Unless they canada goose outlet online Hearthstone or MOBA players, nobody as miserable as them. canada goose clearance

cheap Canada Goose The bottom line of what I said, though, is simple: a game can either be designed to be fun and rewarding, or it can be designed to make money during gameplay. So far, these things have been mutually exclusive, and demonstrably so. There have been studies, there have been many articles and videos discussing this. cheap Canada Goose

canada goose store Citation hugely needed. And give me studies, not angry youtubers. Because I can point you to any of dozens of games that make a disgusting amount of money while making millions of players happy canada goose outlet sale and having fun AND having much more aggressive monetization models than mobile games. Or MOBA games, which are hugely successful and make players miserable, not sure how that keeps working out. canada goose store

canada goose store MayhemMessiah 0 points submitted 13 hours ago canada goose store

canada goose coats on sale I’m not talking about Fallout Shelter in specific, man. Stop missing the forest from the trees. I’m talking about free to play mobile games which Fallout Shelter is. That’s it. canada goose coats on sale

canada goose store So you make grand canada goose outlet buffalo sweeping statements about an entire medium when talking about a specific game none of which apply to that game so not only is it unrelated but intellectually dishonest because you evidently don know about the game while writing it off in the face of evidence canada goose store.

Tags: