- Irene Newton – 2008-2010; Associate Professor in Department of Biology, Indiana University.
- Bethany Kent – June 2008 to June 2010; now Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Microbiology at Centennial Hospital, Nashville, TN
- Kristin Jernigan – January 2010 to October 2013; now Assistant Professor of Biology at Columbia State Community College
- Robert Brucker – 2013-2014; Junior Fellow at Harvard University’s Rowland Institute, Cambridge, MA
- Lisa Funkhouser-Jones – February 2016 to May 2016; now Postdoctoral Fellow in David Sibley’s lab at Washington University in St. Louis
- Kevin Kohl – 2014 to 2017; now Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
- Aram Mikaelyan – 2016 to 2018; now Assistant Professor in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, North Carolina State University
- Brittany Leigh – 2017 to Current, NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Postdoctoral Fellow
- Edward van Opstal – 2018 to 2019; now American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Technology Policy Fellow at the Department of Defense
- Jean Lim – 2019
- Junhui Li – 2019 to Current
- Karissa Cross – 2019 to Current
Past Graduate Students:
- Robert Brucker, PhD, 2008-2013 – now Junior Fellow at Harvard University’s Rowland Institute, Cambridge, MA
- Jason Metcalf PhD, MD, 2011-2014 – now Resident in Pediatrics, University of Michigan
- Lisa Funkhouser-Jones, PhD, 2009-2016 – now Postdoctoral Fellow in David Sibley’s lab at Washington University in St. Louis
- Daniel LePage, PhD, 2012-2016 – Quality Manager microbiologist at Creature Comforts, Athens, GA
- Edward (Teddy) van Opstal, PhD, 2013-2018, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Technology Policy Fellow at the Department of Defense
- Andrew Brooks, PhD, 2013-2019 – Postdoc in Carlos Bustamante’s lab at Stanford University
Past Research Assistants:
- Courtney Zecher – June 2006 to July 2008; Masters in Public Health from UC Berkeley: Currently a Research Coordinator at Population Health Sciences Program at the University of Illionois at Chicago.
- Michelle Gourley – September 2005 to December 2006; Currently Instructor in Biological Sciences at Indiana University South Bend. Masters degree from Western Michigan University (thesis work described an in situ association between W. pipientis and filarial worm protein, collagenase).
- Meghan Chafee – November 2008 to May 2010, Research Assistant II; 2010-2013 RAIII at Marine Biological Laboratory in Dr. Sheri Simmons Laboratory; PhD in marine metagenomics at the Max Planck Institute in Bremen, Germany; Scientist at Seres Therapeutics.
- Victor Schmidt – Spring 2010; Research Assistant II; Currently a postdoc in Dr. Ruth Ley’s lab, Department of Microbiome Science, Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Tübingen, Germany.
- Andrew Williams – RA August 2010 to August 2011; M.S. at Vanderbilt; currently a law student at the University of Louisville.
- Joey Simmons – Summer 2011 – July 2013; Research Assistant II. Currently Lab Manager in Ken Lao’s lab at Vanderbilt.
- Dianna Bojanova – 2015-2016, Research Assistant I. 2016-2017, Faculty Research Assistant at University of Maryland. Currently a graduate student at the University of Southern California.
- Jungmin (Danny) On – Spring of 2016-2017; Currently a medical student at the University of Georgia in Athens.
- Emily Layton – Summer of 2017 – Currently a SyBBURE Searle Undergraduate Research Scholar in the Bordenstein lab.
Past Undergraduate Students:
- John Chen (2008) – Vanderbilt Med School 2012-2016, Now Internal Medicine Resident at Emory University
- Carolyn Foley (2009) – Dept of Anesthesiology at Michigan Medicine
- Ross Tollkansen (2009)
- Zhongyang Cao (2009-2010)
- Jonathan Herrick (2011)
- Aaron Noll (2010) – Vanderiblt Med School 2012-2016, Co-author on discovery of hybrid mortality evolution in the lab (BMC Evolutionary Biology link)
- Marisa Pinchas (2011-2012) – Director of Infection Prevention and Control at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Co-author on discovery of hybrid mortality evolution in the lab (BMC Evolutionary Biology link)
- Stephanie Sehnert (2010-2012)
- Emma Steigerwald (2012) – now graduate student at UC Berkeley
- Ashley Saulsberry (2014-2015), Littlejohn Summer Research Scholar, First author on discovery of hybrid mortality evolution in the lab (BMC Evolutionary Biology link)
- Minhee Jo (2013-2015) Vanderbilt Class of 2016; Coauthor on wRec genome publication (PeerJ link)
- Paul Snider (2013-2015) Vanderbilt Class of 2016
- Melissa Halstead (2016) Vanderbilt Class of 2019
- Katherine Carbonell (2016) Vanderbilt Class of 2019
- Jungmin (Danny) On (2016) Vanderbilt Class of 2016; now medical student at the University of Georgia in Athens. Coauthor on identification of genes that cause cytoplasmic incompatibility (Nature link and PNAS link)
- Ananya Sharma (2015-2018) Vanderbilt Class of 2019; Coauthor on discovery of Wds gene that suppresses titers of maternally-transmitted Wolbachia (Current Biology link)
- Cassie Slaybaugh (2017-2018) Vanderbilt Class of 2021.
- Helen Zhou (2016-2018) Vanderbilt Class of 2018; Coauthor on identification of genes that cause cytoplasmic incompatibility (PNAS link); Software Developer for McMaster-Carr; now Columbia Law School, Class of 2022.
- Rachel Rosenberg (2018-2020) Vanderbilt Class of 2022; Bordenstein lab assistant and undergraduate researcher. Coauthor on a manuscript on cytoplasmic incompatibility factor genes.
Past High School Students:
- Rachel Martin (2008, 2009)
- Andrew Johnson (2007 & 2008)
- Merry Batter (2006 & 2007)
- Pia Hugus (2005)
- Jordan Winters (2009 – 2010, Vanderbilt School of Science and Math)
- Hyunjeong, Jin (2009 – 2010, Vanderbilt School of Science and Math)
- Kanyanta Mwenya (2009 – 2010, Vanderbilt School of Science and Math)
- Fiona Broadie (Summer of 2016)
- Roman Johnson (Fall of 2019)